Posted tagged ‘Caylee Search’

Caylee Anthony Tribute

February 1, 2009

I was sent this video today which I have seen previously but is a very nice tribute to Caylee Anthony.

I thought that I’d share it with those who may not have seen it already.

Casey Anthony: Judge Strickland Rules on Motions

January 30, 2009

Orange County Circuit Judge Stan Strickland ruled on several motions filed by Casey Anthony’s defense team during a motion hearing Friday morning.

In one of his rulings, Judge Strickland said that Anthony’s defense team, led by lawyer Jose Baez, can have access to the wooded area where Caylee’s remains were discovered in December.

From MyFox Orlando:

Judge Strickland granted the defense’s motion to access the crime scene where the remains of Anthony’s daughter, Caylee, were found. He said he will rule on the defense’s request to obtain the records of Equusearch volunteers who helped in the search at a later date.

In the issue of a change of venue motion, Judge Strickland said he will set a hearing date when the proper paperwork is filed. Defense attorney Jose Baez requested for that hearing to be held in March, but prosecutors said that the date is premature.

It was also determined that if the trial is not set for the end of the year, a change of venue motion may not be necessary.

Strickland said that it is premature for him to make a decision about change of venue, but Baez disagreed, saying that he would like to know if the case is moving and to what area.

The Anthony’s family attorney, Brad Conway, also addressed the judge Friday and said the family has allowed him permission to waive conflict with Mark Nejame, the man who is know representing Texas Equusearch. Conway said this would allow the Equusearch motion to move forward and the Anthony’s want the prosecution to speed up the case.

In addition, the prosecution said the state’s motion to strike the defense’s witness list was moot.

Casey Anthony Trial May Be Delayed

January 30, 2009

It appears that the expected beginning of Casey Anthony’s trial, set for March, will be pushed back as no decision was made today to set a date.

You ever notice that ALL high profile cases seem to be delayed in one way or another?

From Fox News:

Circuit Court Judge Stan Strickland said he would rule on the trial date later and granted a request by Anthony’s defense team to inspect the crime scene where the remains of her 2-year-old daughter Caylee were found.

Caylee’s death was declared a homicide after her bones were discovered in December in a wooded area close to the family’s home. Anthony, 22, is charged with killing the child.

Strickland set another trial status hearing for late February or early March to weigh when the criminal proceedings can begin. Attorneys said they may not be ready to go to trial until later this year.

Click here for photos.

He also said he would consider a change of venue motion after the paperwork is filed and a hearing is set. A change of venue might not be necessary if the trial doesn’t begin by the end of the year, Strickland said.

Anthony has been ordered to appear at all hearings before her trial, despite efforts by her lead attorney Jose Baez to waive her obligation to come to court because of the “media circus” surrounding the case. Strickland on Thursday struck down Baez’s latest attempt to stop Anthony’s court appearances.

The Man Behind The New Caylee Anthony Doll

January 26, 2009

An interesting post from Blogger News Network on the man behind the new Caylee Anthony doll, Jaime Salcedo.

I CAN NOT believe that this company, and this man, is even attempting to sell this doll. I’ve seen that he also sold Michael Vick dog chew toys. Unbelievable!

From the post:

It seems that there are almost no lows that individuals and companies will not go to to sell a product. Jaime Salcedo is living proof. Research reveals a pretty interesting past for Mr. Salcedo, everyone has an entrepreneurial streak it is just that some endeavors are not as productive as others.

A brief look into Mr Salcedo paints an interesting picture, how about a Michael Vick Doll? A chewy dog treat, what could be in worse taste? Vic was clearly in the wrong, but to try and profit from it makes me want to vomit.

Even if you ignore Salcedo’s past transgressions, you have to seriously be concerned by this ‘business man’. It did not take much digging to reveal this quote:

I ordered 2 Vick Dog Chew Toys on Aug. 6th. I sent payment through PayPal. Like everyone else, I have not received my merchandise.

I can think of nothing lower than trying to profit from someone elses nightmare. His latest idea is the talking Caylee Anthony doll. An item that I cannot think will catch on.

A little bit of further digging showed that Mr. Salcedo is hardly unknown to the authorities, as the Attorney General of Florida will attest.

My normal practice is to quote my sources, and link to articles and sources. I just cannot bring myself to do that. I know trash when I see it, and Salcedo is the dictionary definition of the word trash.

Caylee Anthony: Grandfather “Wanted To Be With Caylee”

January 23, 2009

According to various news reports, George Anthony texted family members saying that he “did not want to live anymore and that he wanted to be with Caylee”.

No matter how you feel about this case and the people involved, you must feel for George Anthony who is struggling with the death of his granddaughter and his daughter, Casey, in jail, accused of the murder.

Thoughts on today’s developments?

From CNN:

The distraught grandfather of slain Florida toddler Caylee Anthony sent his family and friends text messages saying he “did not want to live anymore and that he wanted to be with Caylee,” according to a police report.

George Anthony, 57, then disappeared for several hours, and his family’s worried attorney called police.

“You can see that George has been pushed to the brink of what could have been another tragedy in this case,” said the attorney, Brad Conway. “This has been nothing less than hell” for the couple, he added.

He asked reporters to respect “the pain and the anguish” the Anthonys have gone through and “give them a little bit of space.” He pointed out that they have not yet been able to bury Caylee, whose remains were found in December.

Casey Anthony: Documents Show Casey Joked About Drugging Caylee

January 22, 2009

A section of the newly released documents in the Casey Anthony case have shown that Casey once joked about drugging her daughter, Caylee, in her sleep.

From Fox News:

The documents, which were made public on Wednesday, include reports on police interviews with a former boyfriend of the girl’s mother, Casey Anthony, 22, who is charged with killing the toddler.

The former boyfriend, Ricardo Morales, told investigators that Anthony had joked about administering baby medicine to put Caylee asleep, though he also said it appeared that Casey had a normal relationship with her daughter, according to MyFOXOrlando.com’s report on its review of the new documents.

Detectives also questioned Morales about chloroform, traces of which were found in the trunk of Anthony’s car during forensic testing, MyFOXOrlando.com reports.

The state attorney’s office reports also contained text messages from several of Anthony’s friends indicating surprise that she had never mentioned that her daughter was missing for a month before authorities were contacted.

“Y wouldn’t u tell me of all people?” former boyfriend Anthony Lazzaro wrote, according to the reports. “Why would you lie to me thinking she was fine and with your nanny?”

Anthony’s attorney, Jose Baez, declined to comment on the documents, MyFOXOrlando.com reports.

Caylee Anthony was 2 years old when she disappeared in June, but she wasn’t reported missing until a month later, by Casey Anthony’s parents. The girl’s body was found in December in a wooded area by the family’s Orlando home by a utility worker.

The documents released Wednesday indicate that the girl was placed in a laundry hamper bag and had silver duct tape around her mouth. The documents – more than 300 pages — include reports from police and crime scene investigators, FBI crime lab reports and transcripts of 911 calls placed by the meter reader who found the girl’s remains.

From WPEC:

Investigators are mulling over text messages sent from a one-time boyfriend of Casey Anthony.

Tony Lazaro texts were sent the morning after Casey’s mother called 911 to report Caylee missing.

That was a month after she was last seen.

The texts say:

“Why wouldn’t you tell me of all people? I was your boyfriend that cares about you and your daughter.”

“Doesn’t make sense to me. Why would you lie to me thinking she was fine and with your nanny?”

Police say Lazaro was one of the people expressing surprise that Casey Anthony never mentioned her daughter was missing.

Casey Anthony: New Motion Hearing Set

January 22, 2009

A hearing to consider three new motions in the Casey Anthony case was set this afternoon. The court will hear two motions filed by defense attorney Jose Baez and one by the State attorney’s office next Friday, January 30.

From MyFox Orlando:

One motion ask the court to give Baez and his defense team access to the scene where the remains two year old Caylee Anthony were found.

According to Baez, the site which is private property now has a ‘No Trespassing’ sign on it and Baez said the owner of the property has not returned his phone calls. The other motion will compel prosecutors to turn over more documents related to the case, specifically those from Equusearch, the Texas based volunteer group that searched for the remains.

The motion filed by the state concerns issues with the defense witness list.

At next Friday’s hearing the trial date could be discussed.

Caylee Anthony Case Drained EquuSearch Resources

January 15, 2009

Tim Miller spoke with the Orlando Sentinel recently and stated that getting his group involved in the Caylee Anthony case might be one of the biggest mistakes he’s made for the organization.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

In a recent interview with the Sentinel, Miller said that so many resources were used and so much money spent on Caylee’s case, they now don’t have enough to assist all the other people who contact EquuSearch for help.

The publicity has caused EquuSearch’s caseload to increase more than ever. And because of the economy, donations to the nonprofit are down.

“Caylee Anthony was not the very first missing person in this country and she’s not going to be the last missing person in this country,” Miller said.

Now, EquuSearch has to be very selective in which cases it works.

Miller said the search for Caylee was more costly than he could have imagined. And he can’t remember a search that has had as many twists and turns.

“This has been a frustrating case for everybody,” he said.

“This has caused me personally a lot of financial, emotion and physical grief. This case wore on me more than any case that I’ve worked.”

Meanwhile, EquuSearch continues to search throughout the country for other missing people. Miller continues to run a small construction company.

And now, two months after he called-off the second ground search for Caylee, Miller is still being wrapped up in the case.

Caylee Anthony: Roy Kronk to Appear on Good Morning America

January 12, 2009

Roy Kronk, the man who found the remains of Caylee Anthony in December, is scheduled to appear on ‘Good Morning America’ tomorrow, this according to the Orlando Sentinel.

From the article:

Roy Kronk and his attorney, David Evans, are flying to New York City today. The interview will be Kronk’s first public appearance since he made a brief statement shortly after the remains were identified last month.

Evans would not comment on whether Kronk was being paid for the interview, but said his travel expenses are “being covered.”

“I have no specific comment on [payment], but I would certainly think that he would be compensated,” Evans said. “His life has been turned upside down since this situation began.”

ABC’s director of publicity Bridgette Maney said the network did not pay Kronk for his interview, but did pay for his travel expenses to New York and paid to license a photo. The amount was not disclosed.

“ABC News does not pay for interviews,” Maney wrote in an e-mail. “Mr. Kronk was not paid for his appearance on the program tomorrow.”

Kronk works for Orange County as a meter reader and makes just over $10 an hour, Evans said. His wife died last year after a long battle with breast cancer, which drained him emotionally and financially, Evans said.

“It’s my belief that if Roy can get some modest compensation from all of this, it would be well deserving,” he said.

Payment could come later for Kronk, who is considering selling limited licensing of the photo of the area where the remains were located, Evans said. A copy has been turned over to Orange County officials.

It has not yet been purchased.

Caylee Anthony: Reporter Says “Enough With This Story”

January 12, 2009

I wanted to pass along this article from the Petoskey News-Review today which discuss the overkill of coverage on the Caylee Anthony story. The writer explains how in another day and time, this story would have gone no further than Florida newspapers. I admit, this story has taken over the news for quite some time and it is a very sad story. I’d say that people are interested in what happens, but I’ll agree, I think that sometimes, coverage has been a little bit of overkill.

So I ask this question of you: What do you think? Have you seen enough coverage on this story? Yes, its a tragedy but having coverage on Nancy Grace every night, is that overkill?

Thoughts?

From the article:

Can we just say enough with the Caylee Anthony story, please?

One of the things that hurts media credibility is the overplay of stories. Day. After day. After day.

Go ahead, go to the news channels and I’ll bet sometime today you can find a report on little Caylee Anthony.

The toddler was reported missing in mid-July, at which time her mother said she had been missing for about a month. From that moment on, you’ve been bombarded with “news” about Caylee, her mom Casey, and Casey’s parents, Cindy and George Anthony.

The story has been hashed over dozens, literally dozens, of times since then on the Nancy Grace show on CNN, for just one small example. That means you got plenty of superfluous stories on little Caylee, and you had to listen to the annoying Nancy Grace to boot.

Even as a media guy who loves to follow a good story, the question of why all the coverage of Caylee comes up with no good answer.

Sure, the 24/7 cable news networks have a lot of time to fill, but really, all Caylee all the time?

And the story line isn’t really that compelling — it’s sad, certainly, that someone would take the life of a toddler, and that a family member, namely mom, may be involved. But we are not talking here about something that has happened for the first time in history.

And now we’re going to have to contend with Adam Herrman, the Kansas 11-year-old who hasn’t been seen since 1999 and who’d now be 21 if still alive. Then there’s Natalee Holloway, missing in Aruba and feared dead since 2005.

In another time and day, Caylee’s story wouldn’t have made it further than the Florida newspapers. If it wasn’t for Amber alerts and “getting the word out” that someone is missing, we’d probably have never heard about it this far north.

As I write this CNN Headline News is running a court hearing where the judge wants Casey Anthony in court for her hearings. I mean really, who cares about this stuff except some producer filling time?

As news consumers, we must demand better. Tell the networks and the tabloids enough. Tell ’em we’re made as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore. Keep telling them until they knock it off. Because if they think you really want around the clock coverage of little Caylee, they will give it to you until you’re ready to scream — and I am.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 73 other followers